Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bungsamran fishing park Bangkok


Little bit of a late report, have been busy with work and not had a chance to put this up yet. In March I went back over to Thailand for a month long overland trip through Laos and Vietnam.. I didn't get to do much fishing, however when i booked the trip i was determined to put a day aside to fish the famous Bungsamran fishing park in Bangkok. The lake is stocked with a few different species of fish including the Arapima and Giant snakehead, both of which have been added to my "catch before i die" list. This trip I targeted the Giant mekong catfish, which i think is the most abundant species in the pond. Looking at the pond you can see the shadows of giants just below the surface as you pick your spot on the jetty.. I'll let the photos do the talking.. I highly recommend a trip here if ever you have a spare day in BKK. Bungsamran is also home to the 7 seas proshop - one of the best tackle shops i have had the pleasure of stepping foot in, with exotic brands and products on display which previously I had only been able to drool over on the internet. http://www.bungsamran.com/en/

One of the cabins you can spend the night in... maybe next time

Putting the hurt on a cat.. or more accurately it putting the hurt on me. Its heavy tackle for these fish - 6500 Baitrunner's spooled with 50lb mono and dough baits the size of a tennis ball.

One in the net..

Giant Mekong Catfish..

You can see all the different cabins available in the background of this photo.

The Release..

Kelly showing me how it's done

Solid


The business end..


My 6th cat in about 2 hrs.. my arms were well and truly worn out so after a nice lunch we called it a day..

Other then this trip i have only been out once recently off Sydney after some reports of a few yellowfin tuna around. Unfortunately all we managed was 1 hookup to a fin which was lost, a few striped tuna and a lone dolphin fish.. The currents are not favorable at the moment but hopefully i will get out again in the next few weeks.. tight lines and calm seas!

4 comments:

  1. Bungsamran! I love the place...will be going again in February 2011....any plans on your side mate?

    Bruce

    SOMETIMES CAN Anglers

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah its great! 7 seas is an awesome shop too.. I've got a goal to catch an Arapaima so I will have to get over there again sometime... think Fiji is next on the list though.. popping for gt's and jigging dogtooth..

    ReplyDelete
  3. When's your Fiji trip? sounds AWESOME mate....Will be back in Bungsamran from the 3rd till the 8th of February 2011...lkeep in touch if your going buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about March next year.. cheers mate will let you know if im over that way

    ReplyDelete