Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wish list for Rompin trip..


We have booked our trip to Kuala Rompin, Malaysia for the first week of October and at the moment its all i can think about! After quite a few hours research into popping for sailfish i have managed to find some good information on various sites. I had previously set a goal of catching one on my branzino after seeing a video of someone achieving this however the research leads me to believe it will be quite difficult to set the hooks with PE2. Also to avoid putting unnecessary stress on the fish (whilst still providing good sport) I now have my mind set on using PE4 and my saltiga z4500. This I will pair with a 7.6ft Shimano Caranx Kaibutsu light pleasure - LPS7604.


The light pleasure suits PE2-4 for casting poppers and stick baits up to 120g which should be ideal for the size lures suited to the Rompin sails. As an added bonus it is reasonably priced and won't break the bank (although not released in Australia so I need to order from overseas). To reduce freight costs i also decided to add a new light jigging rod to the arsenal - the Hots Fake Lez 54M. This is suited to PE2.5- 4 and jigs up to 200g it should work a treat on the inshore reef kings around Sydney.


And finally I plan on trying my hand at some underwater photography/filming and since my current camera disagrees with getting wet, I will need to purchase a Sanyo Xacti ca9 waterproof video camera.. more on this later though.

4 comments:

  1. Have you looked at the GoPro cameras? I just bought two of them and they are way cool.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't heard of them.. they look pretty cool.. waterproof to 60 meters too! cheers for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're off for a competition in ROMPIN end this month! gonna be poppin and jiggin for sails!.......FAKE LEZ is a MUST MUST MUST...I'd say forget the Kaibutsu, save a bit and go for the Hot's GIPANG! best popping rods EVER!

    Bruce

    SOMETIMES CAN Anglers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice how did you go? We managed 19 all up over the 4 days but i only got 1 on a popper.. will put up details soo.. love the fake lez, but have only used it once jigging off Syd... will need to save some cash for the Gipang

    ReplyDelete